I TOLD YOU SO!
Almost 4 months ago, I wrote that TelePsychiatry is the Killer App for Video Conferencing. It may put a kink in Lucy’s walk-in practice, but the benefits to the rest of society are clear. (And if Lucy would like to Expand Her Presence, there is a place she can go)
Who should come along to back me up, but the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). Their July 2011 issue of ACEP News includes an article titled “ED Telepsychiatry Cuts Admissions, Saves Money.”
The article tells the story of implementations in South Carolina and includes a commentary by the vice chair for Emergency Medicine at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Pennsylvania where a telepsychiatry program is also in place.
The following data are from the South Carolina study:
- Admission rates (33% lower)
- Length of Emergency Department stays (25% shorter)
- Outpatient follow-up rates (nearly 4x higher)
- Cost (29% lower for Medicaid patients, 38% lower for private insurance)
- Patient satisfaction: 80%
- Physician Satisfaction: 90%
- Physicians who believe they are more productive using telepsychiatry: 75%
Per the study, “the patient receives a higher quality of care, and the hospitals have reduced costs.”
WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE ?
rob kardashian weight lossWhich Levi’s jeans would look like like these