As part of the new “Anywhere to Anywhere VA Health Care Initiative,” Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) providers will soon be able to provide telehealth services across state lines regardless of the state’s licensing rules. The goal is to create a national telemedicine network that can reach veterans in their homes or at locations outside VA hospitals. Effective June 11, the change is expected to increase access to care by making more clinicians available for appointments for patients in rural, remote, or medically underserved areas. Read more
Slightly old news, but on May 19th (only two weeks after the American Telemedicine Association’s Annual Meeting and Trade Show), enough states signed the Interstate Licensure Compact into law to trigger forming the Interstate Licensure Compact Commission. Each state will appoint two commissioners who will help oversee and administer the compact.
This is a highly important event, as it marks the beginnings of making physician licenses either more portable (license portability) or much easier to acquire in additional states once acquired the first time–a key stumbling block in telemedicine that looks to provide aid to rural areas that are often closer to medical service areas in a bordering state. It’s also been a key issue in overcoming the increasing physician shortage in general.
The seventh, and triggering state, was Alabama, followed almost immediately by Minnesota on the same day. On May 27th, Nevada followed suit, making the number of participation states nine. The other states are Idaho, Montana, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming–notably rural states that would benefit immensely by the Compact’s success.
The commission is expected to meet later this year. For more information on the Instate Medical Licensure Compact, please visit http://licenseportability.org/.
- Adoption of Telemedicine (39)
- American Telemedicine Association (19)
- Announcement (15)
- Behavioral Health (9)
- case study (4)
- Home health (21)
- Interoperability (3)
- mHealth (41)
- Mobile Video Collaboration (19)
- Press Releases (8)
- Reimbursement (14)
- Secure Video Collaboration (37)
- swyMed (55)
- TeleHealth (116)
- TeleMedicine (161)
- Uncategorized (27)
- NBC News Affiliate Highlights swyMed’s Mobile Telehealth SolutionNovember 15, 2017 - 4:32 pm
- Microsoft & SwyMed improve health outcomes by connecting remote patients with specialistsSeptember 6, 2017 - 8:51 am
- Proposed Bill Would Boost SNF TelemedicineAugust 9, 2018 - 3:34 pm
- Vanderbilt Telenephrology Clinic Goes OnlineAugust 3, 2018 - 10:51 am
- The Impact of Telepharmacy on Controlled Substances, Patients and PrescribersJuly 19, 2018 - 3:14 pm